As a pharmacist, you have options when it comes to where you work, and at PharmacyWeek we see several pharmacy job opportunities cross desks every day that even make us want to get up and go work at these dream destinations. Jet Setter Pharmacist highlights great job openings in even better locations, and what makes these locations and employers so unique!
LOCATION: Cleveland, Ohio
EMPLOYER: Cleveland Clinic
POSITION: Assistant Director of Pharmacy
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: Today, the great industrial port of Cleveland – for so long the butt of jokes after the heavily polluted Cuyahoga River caught fire in 1969 – is no longer the “Mistake on the Lake.” The Warehouse District, East Fourth Street, and University Circle are now hubs of energy. A working class, world-class “new American city,” Cleveland is a model of urban renewal. Once plagued by debt and dirt, the city cleaned up the downtown area and spruced up its parks and waterways to become one of the most livable cities in the U.S. A weekend visit gives you a taste of what makes the city tick.
Cleveland boasts a sensitive restoration of the Lake Erie and Cuyahoga River waterfront, a superb constellation of museums, a growing culinary scene, and new downtown super-stadiums. Add to that the now well-established Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and there’s an unmistakable buzz about the place.
Founded in 1796, thirty years later Cleveland profited greatly from the opening of the Ohio Canal between the Ohio River and Lake Erie. During the city’s heyday, which began with the Civil War and lasted until the 1920s, its vast iron and coal supplies made it one of the most important steel and shipbuilding centers in the world. John D. Rockefeller made his billions here, as did the many others whose restored old mansions line “Millionaires’ Row.”
When you live in Cleveland, the opportunities are unlimited. The region is filled with a wide variety of arts, cultural, recreational and educational activities for people of every generation. You’ll also find some of Ohio’s top school districts and colleges and universities. And it’s easy to get from place to place.
Cleveland is a great place to work, live and raise a family. With a diverse population of hard-working and friendly people, and the choice of an urban, suburban or rural lifestyle, Northeast Ohio is a terrific place to call home. The cost of living is low and the quality of life is high.
ABOUT THE JOB: The Assistant Director of Pharmacy conceptualizes, plans, implements and directs the provisions of pharmaceutical care throughout specific assigned service areas and patient care locations. You will serve as a role model for clinical excellence by ensuring that members of the pharmacy team uphold high clinical and educational standards. The successful candidate will provide leadership in planning, budgeting, formulary management, standardization of processes, and implementation of strategic plans, best practice clinical programs, cost saving initiatives and patient medication safety strategies.
- Advanced degree required: PharmD., Master’s of Science degree or Master’s of Business Administration degree – preferably residencytrained
- Minimum of 3-5 years of progressively more responsible leadership positions
- Experience in a large tertiary care academic medical center preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks/projects under heavy and frequently changing workload conditions, and frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated record of innovation and excellence within respective area of pharmacy practice management
- Ability to effectively coordinate and implement changes in operations
- Ability to form strong physician relations
- Active in local, state and national pharmacy professional organizations
- Licensed Pharmacist in the State of Ohio or Board eligible
For more information contact:
Damita Freeman Jones
9500 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44195-0002