As a pharmacist, you have options when it comes to where you work, and at PharmacyWeek we see several pharmacy job opportunities cross desks every day that even make us want to get up and go work at these dream destinations. Jet Setter Pharmacist highlights great job openings in even better locations, and what makes these locations and employers so unique!
LOCATION: Grand Rapids, Michigan
EMPLOYER: Spectrum Health
POSITION: Director of Pharmacy Services
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT: From a bustling urban center to the majestic beauty of Lake Michigan just a short drive away, Grand Rapids provides residents and visitors with an incredible range of living options, recreation, job opportunities and cultural activities. Grand Rapids is known for its unique combination of urban sophistication and small-town warmth. Once known as the furniture capital of the world, the city has a reinvigorated downtown area and a thriving arts and cultural community. Placed Rated Almanac ranked Grand Rapids as the #3 city in the nation for fun and recreation. Probably because Grand Rapids offers all the cultural diversions of a cosmopolitan city along with the spectacular recreation of an outdoor paradise.
Grand Rapids offers a diversion for every whim: Indulge your cultural side at museums, historic sites and performing arts venues. Its most popular attraction is the museum dedicated to native son Gerald R. Ford, 38th U.S. President, where interactive exhibits take you to the White House and the 1976 Republican National Convention.
Get in touch with nature at one of our many parks, golf courses and fishing spots. Wander through the state’s largest tropical conservatory at the Frederik Meijer Gardens, a magical wonderland of gardens, woodlands and over 100 bronze statues by famous artists, including the 24-foot bronze horse designed by Leonardo da Vinci. More outdoor fun is a half-hour away at the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan. Golf lovers have plenty of places to hit the greens since Grand Rapids has more privately owned, daily-fee, public courses than any other U.S. city.
Wind up your busy weekend with a cold beer at the Hideout Brewing Company or the Grand Rapids Brewing Company. Spend a night living it up in our downtown entertainment district, complete with live-music bars, sports bars, brewpubs, comedy clubs and more. Whatever you do, you can feast your palate on an incredible diversity of savory delights along the way, from just-picked berries at roadside farm stands to family-recipe comfort food dishes at homegrown restaurants to the finest cuisine served in the most elegant eateries.
Big-city excitement and natural splendor. Cultural sophistication and small-town warmth. Fun for families and coolness for couples. Grand Rapids offers the best of all worlds – so you don’t have to settle for either/or.
ABOUT THE JOB: Spectrum Health, a quality award winning regional health system, is seeking a Director of Pharmacy. Spectrum Health was twice named by Thomson Reuters as one of the nation’s top 10 health systems recognizing clinical quality and efficiency. Our organization succeeds through strong and active partnerships with physicians and research in our patient-centric organization. This individual will serve as the key leader of three hospitals. In addition to leading the Pharmacy Services of Spectrum Health Grand Rapids with 1176 beds at Butterworth Hospital, Blodgett Hospital and Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, this person collaborates with the Pharmacy Services of the Spectrum Health regional hospitals.
• Assumes 24-hour accountability for the overall delivery of pharmaceutical care for Spectrum Health Grand Rapids.
• Exhibits vision and influential direction on pharmaceutical issues (e.g., bulk buying, use of retail space, etc.) across the Health System.
• Provides clinical consultation and expertise in support of client assessment and care processes: for participating in the development of clinical, staff, and continuing education programs; for managing the process of preparing, dispensing and monitoring medications as prescribed and ordered by a licensed physician and in compliance with applicable regulations and standards; for collaborating with other leaders and staff in the development, management, and operation of the Pharmacy.
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Pharmacy.
• Licensed as a Pharmacist in the State of Michigan or eligible for licensure in Michigan.
• Masters Degree in Hospital Pharmacy, Business Administration or Management or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree preferred.
• Residency training preferred.
• Seven plus years experience working in a complex health care system with five years of management experience at a system that provides transplant services.
• Knowledge of 340B and its impact on all parts of a health system.
• Experience with outpatient pharmacies preferred. Experience with and involvement in ASHP preferred.
Look into Spectrum Health
Spectrum Health Grand Rapids Pharmacy Department supports patient safety and quality care in the health system with over 200 employees focusing on pharmaceutical care. We employ a diverse staff including: Registered Pharmacists, Clinical Specialists, Certified Pharmacy Technicians, Pharmacy Residents and Interns, Pharmaceutical Buyers, and IT Pharmacy Analysts. Pharmacy services are provided through a multidisciplinary, decentralized model. Patient care area pharmacists and clinical specialists, with the support of an excellent technical staff, are integrated into the many patient care areas that Spectrum Health Grand Rapids serves.
Spectrum Health Grand Rapids Pharmacy Department is committed to implementing technology that supports our patient care mission. Technology used at Spectrum Health Grand Rapids includes Pyxis automated dispensing units, robotics, compounding machines, extensive computerization, electronic medication administration records and computerized provider order entry.
We invite you to consider this as one of the greatest opportunities of your career. Grand Rapids is one of the fastest growing medical communities in the nation. The city takes pride in its small town values and large city attractions; ideal for raising a family.
Recruiters please submit candidates directly through Bounty Jobs.